Sunday, June 14, 2009

They have arrived!!!!

First, I just want to thank all of you for your votes on the Ice Cream Cupcake Roundup~ whether you voted for my cupcakes or not. I really appreciate you just stopping by here. I am over-the-moon ecstatic that I have more readers and subscribers to my little food blog=) The winners have been posted and you can visit Scoopalicious for the results. I will definitely try again next year and I hope you will too! It really is fun trying to incorporate different themes into a cupcake- that's why i'm going to do the Iron Cupcake Challenge this month too. (I'm still not done, I had a few mishaps- i'll fill you in when I do my Iron Cupcake post).

Okay, now that i've mentioned that, I just want to share in my excitement of the 2 books I ordered. It came in the mail the other day. I apologize for the orange-y colored photo. I opened the box in the evening and that photo is a result of "kitchen lighting"=(

P6100080

I purchased: Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse and Babycakes!!!
I have yet to try any of the recipes/techniques on either books, but I will definitely post about them when I do. If I am totally in love with either book, I will definitely think about doing a giveaway, but in the same effect, I don't think I have that many readers/subscribers to do one- and I can only send out the prize in the U.S. ( I would love to send it to other countries but it would be way to expensive for me as I will be purchasing the prize and mailing it out too- but I really do appreciate my readers from all the different countries). Tell you what, if I get at least 100 subscribers, I will giveaway one of the two books. This will probably take awhile, so if you can't wait, you can by the books here and check out all the other books I keep in my kitchen cabinet=).

Now are we ready to bake & eat? Summer is just around the corner (June 21st to exact) and its that time of the year where people try to eat a little less and exercise more. This year I am one of those people. I am turning 30 this November and I want to lose some poundage okay, a lot of poundage. Not so easy with a food blog, but I have found some great recipes! Just yesterday I was browsing around on the DVR and wondered what this show Cook Yourself Thin was about. I watched all 9 episodes because I was so intrigued. I made one of their recipes for breakfast today. Okay, lets go!

Sundaes for Sunday! ( its actually called Stuffed French Toast Sundaes)

Let's meet the stars of the show:
P6140081

1 whole egg
1 egg white
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon honey
4 slices whole-wheat bread, crusts removed
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup raspberries
1/2 cup blackberries
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

**(as you can see, I substituted my berries for blueberries & strawberries).

P6140083P6140084

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, milk, cinnamon and honey. Spray a nonstick muffin pan with calorie-free vegetable spray. Carefully dip each slice of the bread into the egg/milk mixture and press it into the muffin pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes, until crisp.
P6140086P6140087
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese until smooth. Spoon equal amounts of the ricotta mixture into each of the bread cups and top with berries. Drizzle the maple syrup on top.
P6140088

353 Calories for 2 of these yummy things.

**I only used 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to drizzle on all 4 of the sundaes. I love sweets and would have liked a more syrupy taste with my ricotta cheese, so next time, I am going to use 1 tablespoon of the syrup and mix it into the ricotta cheese before putting it on top of the french toast. If I still feel like it isn't sweet enough, i'll add the remaining tablespoon of syrup on top. I hope you try these, they really are delicious, tasty, and healthy!** Please come back and visit again because there are more recipes I would love to try from the show! Happy Eating!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

These look great. I can't believe they're low fat!
And I won a random prize in the roundup :) All because I saw your blog post. Thanks :)

Yummy in my tummy said...

Thank you Avanika! Congratulations on winning that random prize~ aren't you glad you participated=)

joanh said...

yum! looks yummy and the books look cute! i want to look them up on amazon!

The Purple Foodie said...

These look so good!

Jennifer said...

What a neat idea!!! I love it! and talk about forgiving with calories :)

Babycakes- awesome cookbook!

Lynne said...

These are adorable!!

Marti said...

Hi, I have a question about your recipe.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese until smooth. Spoon equal amounts of the ricotta mixture into each of the bread cups and top with berries.

When you say "mix together" and "ricotta mixture," the implication of "mixing together" and "mixture" is that something else was added to the ricotta.

What did you mix in?

Yummy in my tummy said...

Thank you Marti for pointing that out. I got this recipe from "Cook Yourself Thin" and copy/pasted their instructions. I believe they say to "mix together the ricotta cheese mixture until smooth" because normally the ricotta cheese purchased from a grocery store has settled and has a liquid layer on top. Mixing it together will help it to get smooth and thinner consistency which will make it easier to spoon onto the bread cup. That was my interpretation for it. I can see how it can be confusing. It does not state adding anything to the ricotta cheese (but in my opinion I would add about a tablespoon of maple syrup to it). Here is the original recipe from their website:

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes/stuffed-french-toast-sundaes

I hope this helps! Please feel free to comment me back if you still have questions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin