Friday, April 10, 2009

Surprise Birthday Cookies

DSC00491
I made these cookies for a Surprise Birthday party for a close friend of mine. We couldn't make it to the party since we would be in California on the day of the party. I wanted to make something for her and her guests, and this is what I came up with. Topsy Turvy cookies covered in Marshmallow Fondant.

I used this cookie cutter and impression mat set. I love it. I may buy this and this too!

I tinted the marshmallow fondant with Wilton gel colors. Americolor gel works really well too. I brushed shimmer dust on top of the fondant after I applied it on to the cookie.

I made 40 of these cookies, packaged them and shipped them in lots and lots of bubble wrap. It made it to its destination just fine=)
DSC00490

Marshmallow Fondant Tutorial. You can also checkout YouTube, they have some really good tutorials there as well.

Sugar cookie recipe I used:

6 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups butter (4 sticks)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla

This is a great recipe when using cookie cutters. It doesn't spread! Your cookies will be the same shape after you bake them as they were before.

Note that this recipe makes up to 8 dozen 3 cookies, but it is easy to cut in half.

Cream sugar and butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and flavoring. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix well.

Put a handful of the freshly made dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to desired thickness. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Put the rolled dough, including the parchment paper, on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes or longer. Your dough will be chilled and ready to cut and bake with no wait and no added flour! Repeat the process with scraps after cutting cookies.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on rack.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin