Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tres Leches cake

slice of cake

My husband recently celebrated his birthday and all he wanted was for me to make one of his favorite cakes~Tres Leches. I got the recipe from Allrecipes.com.
Ingredients for Tres Leches

INGREDIENTS

5 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.
  3. Cream butter or margarine and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract, beat well.
  4. Add the flour mixture to the butter or margarine mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, mix until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Pierce cake several times with a fork.
  6. Combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, and condensed milk together. Pour over the top of the cooled cake.
  7. Whip whipping cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup of the sugar together until thick. Spread over the top of cake. Be sure and keep cake refrigerated, enjoy!
Tres Leches batter
The cake batter.


Tres Leches cake
The cake has cooled completely and I pricked it with a fork so that it absorbs all of the milk mixture.
Milk mixture for cake
3 milk mixture ready to be poured onto the cake.
Soaking in the milk
It soaked up all of the milk. I covered it in saran wrap and refrigerated it for about 1-2 hours before covering it with the whipped cream. 
Whipped topping for the cake
Fresh whipped cream.
Happy Birthday Jude!
I had lots of whipped cream left and I didn't want to waste it, so I piped in something our daughter might've said if she could talk. She's 5 months old. I made this the night before his birthday. He had the morning off the next day, so I decided to cook him breakfast too: Longonisa with steamed white rice. He loves that stuff. Its a filipino sausage. There are 2 different types or should I say flavors of longonisa. It just depends on what area its from. The one from Pampanga has a sweet taste (which my husband & I prefer), while the other one from Vigan has more of a salty taste to it (which my oldest brother prefers). One things for sure though, it tastes good with white rice=) 
longonisa
Pampanga longonisa
It shrinks down a lot when its cooked. You can find this at asian food stores and its a bit pricey. I think it was about $6.00 for this. 

1 comments:

Shalum said...

The cake sounds yummy. You're right, the ones from Pampanga are sweetish and the ones from Vigan are salty! My hubby likes Vigan longganisas and I like them from Pampanga! I like the skinless longganisa and the tocino :) you should try them too :) Makes me want more rice, alright :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin