Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Two Tiered Fondant cake & Draped cake with case.

DSC00324
This cake was kind of a challenge. The bottom cake was an 8" round and the top is a 6" round. Now I understand why fondant cakes are so expensive. They make the cake look flawless, but it is a lot of work. I just used the Wilton Fondant to cover these cakes. After the mishap I had with the MMF, I didn't feel like going through that again. I rolled all of the border beads by myself. I have since bought a bead/pearl mold. The border really covers up the mistakes I made, and notice on the top tier there is a think pink band. I did that because part of the fondant tore and I was covering it up=) The scroll work is all done freehand with buttercream frosting. The roses on top are made of gumpaste.



P2100011

I did a marbling color effect fondant covering on the cake, which you can't really tell because of the drape. If I remember correctly, the drape is a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. I added small flowers in the case and daises on top of the cake. On the other side of the cake are gumpaste roses and rose petals cascading down the other side. I thought I had uploaded the photo of the other side but I didn't. Sorry!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

So beautiful! I can't wait till i learn fondant in my class. I am also going to take the additional fondant/gumpaste class they offer. What did you make the beads out of fondant? I wonder how big those beads are because i would like to get a big enough mold to like that. I LOVE the big beads!! You are such an inspiration and so good at what you do. I only am doing mine as a hobby too and hope to be as good as you at most!!!

::Shannon

Yummy in my tummy said...

Thank you so much Shannon, that was really sweet! You should definitely take the fondant/gumpaste class. It was by far my favorite class. For the beads, if I remember correctly was a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. I hand rolled each bead. I was so new to all of this that I had NO IDEA there was such a thing as bead molds! I do the cake decorating as a hobby too- it is my escape from being a SAHM (stay at home mom) to my one year old. My Wilton instructor introduced my classmates and I to www.cakecentral.com and it has been such a huge help as far as asking any decorating questions, the gallery has awesome ideas and templates too. It can answer a lot of questions you may have. Of course you can ask me as well. I suggest you get an account at CakeCentral if you haven't already=)

Shannon said...

Hello Again!

The F/GP class starts september 3 and is four thursdays so i cannot wait. I start my second class this thursday but have to wait until september to take the third class as well. That sucks that the fondant class is alongside my third class but it's better than no taking it at all. I'll post pics as soon as i finish!

I wish i could stay at home to get better faster. I am having the hardest time getting the buttercream at the right consistency to spread. I am the worst icer ever!

Ok, enough chatting, i can't wait to look over the site you gave me, i'm going to sign up right now! Have you thought of opening your own bakery? You really are good. Even your beginning cakes put my beginning cakes to shame! :-(

PS - Your daughter is SO cute!

Talk to you soon! Oh, and I made sure i checked off the follow up comments this time! Oops!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin