Friday, April 17, 2009

My attempt at making a Guava Chiffon Cake.

DSC00672
While we were in California, my best friend brought a sinfully delicious Guava Cake from Kings Hawaiian Bakery. It was so light, fluffy, and oh so yummy. I had to try to make it since there aren't any Kings Hawaiian locations in my area, let alone the whole state. I couldn't bring it home with me because it has to be refrigerated. I don't think they ship them either.

I used this recipe from Star Bulletin. I didn't use the cream cheese frosting because King's Hawaiian's frosting was whipped cream. The guava topping wasn't all that great. I think the recipe below for guava gel topping tastes much better. I have tried it before on a sample cake I was making for my daughter's birthday.

Guava Gel Recipe:

2 C Guava juice
1/2 C Sugar
1/4 C Cornstarch

In a medium sauce pan, bring the 2 cups guava juice and sugar to a boil. Make a paste out of the cornstarch and a small amount of water. Remove guava juice from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to heat and bring back to a boil and boil for one minute. Cool in refrigerator.

I wish I had a picture of the cake, but by the time I remembered to take a pic, the cake was devoured.

The result: The cake was moist and fluffy, but it was still heavier than the King's Hawaiian cake. I am still searching for the perfect chiffon recipe. I'll let you know when i've found it!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin