Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Gourmet Mac & Cheese

Gourmet Mac & Cheese

I don't usually make- or eat Mac & Cheese, but I was watching Bobby Flay's "Throwdown" one night and they made the Mac & Cheese look good. So I decided to find the perfect Mac & Cheese recipe.
I decided in Ina Garten's (The Barefoot Contessa) recipe. It rated 5 stars and several of the reviews said that their kids LOVED it. If kids like it, this must be good.

Ingredients for Gourmet Mac & Cheese
The ingredients. The only thing I changed was the breadcrumb topping. I wanted to use Skyflakes crackers. I love that stuff. You can get it at most asian stores. Here is the recipe again.


with Gruyere and Extra Sharp Cheddar cheese
Shredded Gruyere and Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese with spices, ready to mixed into the hot milk. I used the food processor to grate the cheeses. It makes life more simple.

P9270434
Add the cheese mixture and mix it until its all melted and then add your cooked macaroni~ be sure to cook the macaroni al dente. Do not overcook it.

P9270435
Ready for the oven. You can omit the tomatoes, but Ina's recipe had it and I personally like tomatoes.

Gourmet Mac & Cheese
Yummy mac & cheese. It tasted really good! But i'm a carnivore. I definitely wanted some meat with that. Maybe next time i'll add some cooked ground beef and onions to the cheese mixture. Oh, and Gruyere is not cheap. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. I never made mac and cheese from scratch before, and the recipe called for something like 3 or 4 cups of Gruyere and I bought (2) one lb. blocks. It was waaaay too much! It was like $10 a pound. I don't know how much it costs in other grocery stores, but I got mine at Costco. I think I like Gruyere cheese=)

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin