This is my Lemon Poppyseed cupcake with Orange Basil syrup and Orange Basil Cream cheese Frosting.
1 Lemon cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used Canola Oil)
1 Tbsp Poppy seeds (I forgot to add it to my shot)
Follow package directions on back of the box. I added the poppyseeds after the batter was almost completely combined.
All you need is:
Light Karo Syrup
Lightly coat the basil leaves and orange zest with the karo syrup then coat with the sugar. Easy right?
1/2 cup Freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
8 basil leaves
Boil orange juice over medium heat, add the sugar and keep stirring until sugar is dissolved. Tear the basil leaves in half and bruise them slightly by twisting them to release the oils and fragrance of the basil. Add it to the syrup. Turn off the heat and let it sit in the syrup for about 10 minutes.
As soon as the cupcakes are done, prick the cupcakes while its still in the baking pan (I improvised and used a corn on the cob holder, which worked nicely) and brush the tops with the Orange Basil syrup. After it has cooled for 15 minutes, take it out of the pan and onto your cooling rack, then prick it again and brush the tops a 2nd time. While waiting for the cupcakes to cool, lets make the frosting.
I didn't get to take a picture of the frosting in the mixer, but its just like making any other frosting...nothing new. But here are the ingredients & directions:
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup of Orange Basil syrup
1 tsp milk
- In the bowl of an electric mixer,beat butter until creamy. Add cream cheese
- Slowly add confectioners' sugar; beat to combine, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add Orange Basil Syrup and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Slowly add milk and continue beating on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy.
- Featured prize from the very talented Etsy Artist Metal Sugar
- Cool Head Chefs utensils by Fiesta Products
- The awesome cupcake book Hello! Cupcake by Karen Tack and Allen Richardson
- A wonderfully crafted apron from Jessie Steele Aprons
- What every serious cupcake baker needs, a Cupcake Courier &
- a publication of Taste of Home magazine, which has delicious recipe ideas.
So please vote on your favorite basil cupcake recipe (mine) here!