Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My baby is 1 today!

DSC00699
I made my very first Topsy Turvy cake for my daughter's 1st birthday. It was mini sized. I used a 6" round cake pan, a 4" Wilton spring form pan, and a biscuit cutter for the top tier. I used this tutorial to make the cake. I covered the cake in Marshmallow Fondant. The cake flavor is White Almond Sour Cream made from scratch. It's a moist, dense cake, which is excellent for carving. The almond flavor can be substituted for any flavor you like.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees. For the cake pans I used, it took about 35-45 minutes. Just do a cake check after 35 minutes to check for doneness.

***One recipe makes: one 14" round + one 6" round
or one 16" round
or one 12" round + one 10" round
or one 12x18" sheet cake
or one 12" round + one 8" round + one 6"

Half a recipe makes: two 8" rounds
or two 6" rounds + 6 cupcakes

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin